Monday, August 16, 2010

“Life's a journey, not a destination”


"You listen to me! I'm getting on that plane!" My blood shot eyes narrow as I wave my boarding pass at him in a threatening manner. It's 9:30am, I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm not in the mood to play games.

"No Ma'am, you listen to me! Your bag isn't on that plane and neither are you."

My exaggerated boarding-pass wave proves to be less threatening then I had hoped and I don't get on the plane. Instead I get to loiter around Toronto International Airport for a few hours and Air Canada gets another $75 of my money... I'm sure they needed it more than I do.

Now pretend this blog post is one of those movies where the opening scene is something that happens half way through the movie and after that scene you go back in time to the actual beginning of the story ... Compronde?

5am - the alarm goes off, get up, brush teeth, get dressed, pack toothbrush, toothpaste, wake up Steve, walk the dog, still on auto pilot, drive to airport.

6am - arrive airport. Try to check in, machine won't work, swear at machine. Stand in line, line is long, note that line seems especially slow moving, dream about coffee. Wake up. Talk to clerk and try to check in "old fashioned way."

6:15am - miss plane

6:16am - wake up for real. I'm no longer dreaming about Starbucks, Tim Hortons and Second Cup. I'm wide awake and the woman in front of me is telling me that I won't make my flight and I'll have to take a later plane. shit.

7am - pay an extra $75 and successfully acquire a ticket for a flight to Toronto boarding in half an hour. Advance to security, no problems.

7:30am - board flight and wait.

8am - continue waiting.

8:30am - still waiting.

9am - wait.

9:15am - Huston we have take-off! Fly like a bat out of hell to Toronto.

9:10am - land in TO.

9:12am - RUN!

9:15am - arrive at gate *insert opening scene*

9:20am - miss second flight of the day because you can't travel without you bag and my bag was still on the other plane...

9:30am - battle it out with customer service. acquire a "stand by" seat on a flight that will get me to Winnipeg before supper time.

9:45am - buy the biggest cup of coffee in the airport. Enjoy.

10:30am - stop standing by and board the plane to Winnipeg.

TIME CHANGE

1pm - land in Winnipeg. No bag, the irony is uncanny.

3:30pm - pick up bag

5pm - leave for Falcon Lake and act like nothing happened.

3 comments:

  1. You pulled it all off, and still had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did camping go dear, I wasn't able to make it due to being poor from moving into the city.

    I 100% pictured you doing all that and know exactly the expression you had when you were waving that boarding pass. You get extra points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I waved that boarding pass well... did I ever!

    Camping was a smash (for more on that, stay tuned!)

    ReplyDelete